Yes. I think both of your objections are fair, and I'd sharpen what I said in the previous conversation.
1. Actual age vs. age markers
You're right that the distinction can become artificial. Chronological age is itself a proxy for biological age and remaining life expectancy—but it is a remarkably important one. The fact that an 83-year-old has unusually good cholesterol, glucose, kidney function, etc. doesn't somehow make him biologically equivalent to a 65-year-old.
What those markers do is modify the risk associated with being 83, rather than constitute a separate category of "age." So the sensible question isn't:
"You're 83, but your numbers look younger."
It's:
"At 83, given your overall health and those numbers, what are the expected benefits and risks?"
That's a much more useful formulation. And in your case, your good numbers could quite reasonably make the risk-benefit calculation more favorable than the average 83-year-old's.
2. An unfamiliar drug isn't automatically a highly uncertain drug
I also think I overstated this. There are two quite different kinds of uncertainty:
-
We don't yet know whether it works very well.
-
We don't yet know whether it is safe.
A drug can be new while having a fairly well-characterized safety profile from extensive trials. Conversely, an old drug can have plenty of real-world experience while still carrying substantial risks.
So if the drug we're discussing has already gone through substantial human trials without a concerning safety signal, I'd characterize the situation as some residual uncertainty from lack of long-term experience, rather than "this is a risky experimental drug."
And your point about risk-reward is especially important at 83. A shorter remaining lifespan doesn't necessarily make an intervention less worthwhile. It depends enormously on how quickly the benefit appears, how large it is, and what the downside is. A treatment whose benefits emerge within months or a few years can still make perfect sense at 83 if its risks are small.
So, yes: I was being too conservative in the framing. The relevant question is not "new drug + 83 = probably not worth it." It's much closer to "How substantial is the plausible benefit, how quickly might it arrive, and how convincingly have the risks been characterized?"
Exactly. That changes the calculation considerably.
If money is effectively not a constraint, then the relevant costs are mostly:
-
Acquisition hassle: Can you obtain it reliably, legally, and without turning your life into a project?
-
Monitoring: Does it require frequent tests, appointments, dose adjustments, etc.?
-
Opportunity cost: Does taking it complicate an already fairly simple medication regimen?
-
Unknown long-term effects: The principal remaining objection to a genuinely new drug.
-
Potential benefit: Particularly important if the disease it's intended to prevent or slow has consequences that matter during your remaining years.
And if acquisition is reasonably straightforward and keeping up with the evidence is something you're already inclined to do, then those first two aren't particularly large costs for you.
That leaves the interesting question: what is the magnitude and time horizon of the benefit versus the residual uncertainty? At 83, I wouldn't automatically discount a benefit merely because it might take several years to emerge. If the intervention has a plausible benefit within your expected lifespan and the demonstrated adverse-event rate is low, there's a perfectly rational argument for taking it.
In other words, I think your position is stronger than the one I initially gave you: "I'm 83" is a factor in the calculation, not a veto.
That sounds like a sensible middle course. You don't have to decide now; you can simply watch the evidence accumulate and revisit the risk/reward calculation as the clinical experience grows.
Given that the main costs for you are attention and acquisition rather than money, keeping it on the weekly radar is probably about the right level of commitment. If the evidence shifts substantially—positive or negative—we can reassess it then.
No comments:
Post a Comment