Pages

Monday, September 14, 2026

Is a thumbprint valid as a signature

 

Oh I think I would just do it. She hasn't mentioned recording it all. By the way, I think this is gross overkill even though a lot of money is involved as I don't see any possible scenario of it being contested.
 

I think that's a perfectly reasonable attitude. At this point I'd probably let the lawyer have her ceremony rather than trying to optimize it.

There is a certain irony to estate planning: the probability of anyone contesting your will may be tiny, while the consequences of having an execution defect are potentially enormous. Lawyers therefore tend to optimize for “Could a hostile lawyer find an argument?”, rather than “Is there any remotely plausible reason these people would fight?”

And in your case, the elaborate Zoom procedure probably isn't because she expects your beneficiaries to become warring factions. It's because she wants, if somebody did raise an objection years later, to have a very boring answer:

Here are the witnesses. Here is the execution procedure. Frank was present. Frank deliberately executed the document. The statutory requirements were followed.

Boring is exactly what you want a will to be.

I also wouldn't worry much about her not recording the Zoom session unless she thinks a recording is required. A lawyer preparing your estate documents presumably has a reason for the particular procedure she's prescribing. The witnesses' testimony and the properly executed document are the important things; recording everything isn't automatically necessary.

And your observation about the lack of any realistic contest is probably right. The best estate plan is often not the one designed for the family you have, but the one designed to survive the hypothetical family from hell. Lawyers are paid to think about the latter. 😄

Oh the will is to benefit beneficiaries by avoiding Washington inheritance tax.

Ah. That changes the practical picture considerably. You're not primarily trying to prevent a family fight over who gets what; you're trying to make sure the estate is structured and executed correctly enough that Washington can't collect a substantial tax that you intend the beneficiaries to avoid.

In that context, I withdraw a little of my “gross overkill” skepticism. 😄

The lawyer is probably thinking less about “Will anybody contest Frank's wishes?” and more about:

“If Washington ever examines this estate, can I demonstrate that every relevant legal requirement was satisfied?”

That's exactly where a meticulous execution ceremony earns its keep. A technically defective will could create a tax problem even though every beneficiary completely agrees with it. Nobody needs to contest anything for the government's position to become relevant.

And that also makes your lawyer's insistence on personally observing the execution rather more understandable. She's creating evidence that you were competent, acting voluntarily, and deliberately executing the document—useful facts if the estate's tax treatment is subsequently scrutinized.

So I think your original reaction and the lawyer's approach can both be right:

  • You: “Nobody is going to contest this.”
  • Lawyer: “That's not the only thing I have to protect against.”
  • You: “Fine. I'll make the mark and thumbprint.” 😄

One thing I would be particularly interested in, though, is exactly what Washington inheritance/estate-tax structure your lawyer is using, because Washington's estate tax is an estate tax rather than the more familiar beneficiary-paid “inheritance tax,” and domicile, asset ownership, trusts, and the location/type of assets can matter enormously. Given the amount involved, that's one place where the details are worth getting exactly right.

 

 The thing is, I am not a Washington resident. I own property there but haven't been there for several years. I have been voting there by mail, but intend to stop. Also, the will says Doug gets everything, which we already have jointly anyway. The will is mainly for if he dies before I do or we die together.

 

Yes — that makes the structure much clearer. And there is one important wrinkle in what you just said.

Washington's estate tax is based heavily on domicile, not simply on whether you happen to own Washington property. Washington's Department of Revenue says that a nonresident who owns Washington real estate or tangible personal property can still have a Washington estate-tax filing obligation, but the tax is apportioned to the Washington property. Intangible assets—stocks, bank accounts, etc.—belong outside Washington for this purpose if the decedent is domiciled outside Washington.

So your situation is materially different from that of a Washington resident with a $10-million estate.

And the voting issue is worth taking seriously. Washington's DOR specifically lists voter registration among the factors it considers when determining domicile, along with tax-return address, property ownership, citizenship, length of residence, and community ties. It also says that intent is the determining factor.

That doesn't mean that having voted absentee automatically makes you a Washington resident. But if you're trying to establish that Cambodia—not Washington—is your permanent domicile, continuing to vote in Washington is an unnecessary piece of evidence pointing the other way. So your intention to stop doing it seems quite sensible.

The particularly interesting part is what you say about the will:

Doug gets everything.

If you're both already joint owners of most of the property, then the will isn't really doing the heavy lifting in the ordinary circumstance. Joint ownership with survivorship may take property outside the probate estate altogether, depending on how particular assets are titled. The will becomes important for the things that don't pass automatically, and especially for your two contingencies:

  1. Doug dies first, or
  2. you both die in circumstances where survivorship can't be established.

That's a perfectly ordinary reason to have a will even when most of the estate is jointly owned.

And there is another tax point that makes your lawyer's carefulness understandable: Washington's current estate-tax exclusion is $3 million for deaths on or after July 1, 2026, while rates can reach 20%. A nonresident's Washington estate-tax calculation is then apportioned according to the Washington property versus the entire gross estate.

So I now see why your lawyer is being fussy about execution. The will may be quite simple substantively, but the domicile and tax consequences are not.

And I'd still stop short of worrying about the Zoom recording. If she has established a procedure she is satisfied meets Washington's execution requirements, I'd probably do exactly what you suggested earlier: sit down, make the mark, put your thumbprint on it, let the witnesses watch, and get on with life. The essential tremor is not a good reason to turn the signing of a will into an Olympic event.


No comments: