Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2016

We are alone

Be careful to not wax too poetic about our wonderful words and ability to communicate.  It is only partly true and even though you think what I am saying, you don't get the half of it.  You can't, since you can't know the subtleties of meaning of each word I use, derived from my experience and not yours.

We are all alone in the cosmos.  We are the proverbial ships passing in the night with nothing but beacon lights to use to communicate.  The vast, overwhelming majority, of our thoughts and feelings and experiences are ours alone, almost impossible to share.

I remember standing at the edge of a precipice, seeing a beautiful valley down below, and enjoying the panorama, which included a quaint winding dirt road and a couple of old sheds barely visible.  When I remarked to my partner what a view it was, he responded that it was beautiful, but too bad mankind had spoiled it by building the road and the sheds.

Obviously we were seeing the same picture but not seeing the same thing.

No comments: