Pages

Friday, January 15, 2016

Global warming straw man

I am persuaded Global Warming is happening and is a serious danger for the same reason I am persuaded the plate tectonics is accurate, or relativity or quantum or evolutionary theory. Basically while I know the general story I am not an expert. I do however know what science is about and know that the scientific consensus may be wrong, but then only on the edges.

Putting me and the majority of scientists in the category of doom sayers and fear mongers is to create a straw man. I think mankind will survive; I think society much like it is, will survive. It is just that we appear to be creating a rough time (a really rough time) unnecessarily. Making refugees out of millions of people just to keep existing energy industries in place, when other approaches could be done, seems inhumane, stupid and immoral.

In fact as time passes I become more and more optimistic. I saw an item yesterday where solar and wind energy installations continue to accelerate in spite of the drop in oil and natural gas and coal prices. Is it becoming competitive regardless? I would like to see intelligent subsidies on these things, but what I have seen so far along these lines has been boondoggle-ish, so in such matters the devil is in the details.

No comments: