Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Dejavu and rebirth (reincarnation)

I have to comment about pre-existence.  I don't claim to have any memories, so that's said.  What I'm going to recount shows why I do not accept the Mormon idea of celestial pre-existence and instead am far more inclined to the Asian idea of a rebirth cycle.

I moved to Vietnam when I was about 55, soon after my retirement (I was always careful with my money and had a well paying job and so was able to do so comfortably, and I always had an attraction to Vietnam, a sort of curiosity, although I did not serve in the war).

The attraction fulfilled itself and I fell in love with the place.  As you know it is a dictatorship, and although they want foreigner's money they don't want foreigner's making friends and therefore contaminating the population with Western ideas.  But I digress.

One day I went with a bunch of Vietnamese friends to visit DaLat.  The experience was unbelievable.  Talk about deja vu!!!  I knew the place and could predict what was around the corner and so on.  Of course much was new and not in my "memory," but much was -- the older buildings.  I was at the time quite certain and still am pretty convinced that I had once lived and died there.

Now this is just a personal experience and I don't expect anyone else to think it as evidence of rebirth or anything similar.  Now when I revisit the place the original experience doesn't recur -- I think it can only happen once and then more recent memories replace it.

No comments: