Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Mormons

I remember the Mormon Elders where I grew up in Western Colorado. They thought I was arrogant and said as much behind my back, as I knew a lot of what they told me was history was bunk. The very idea of Jews having a civilization in North America in and around the first century. 
One place where I got arrogant was when I did a little independent and found the Book of Mormons prophesy that the Civil War would originate in South Carolina was written after the fact.  When pointed out to me I had been impressed, although it wasn't much of a coincidence, since South Carolina was the most likely place.  When I realized I'd been fed a bald-faced lie, I did indeed get hostile (arrogant is how they rationalized it).

Of course the reaction was to get me on my knees for prayer, so the Holy Spirit could come, not to sit and reason about it. People like this sort of thing and buy into it, partly because they are gullible and partly because they like the idea of God giving them special attention. God would have known that my objections were well founded and genuine, so the threats that ensued (actually Mormons don't threaten people with perdition but are more subtle about it and give us a kind of paradise, but not one for the ambitious who want to become [a] God themselves).

The main point is that claiming God's Spirit or faith or something like that when confronted with truth is a cop-out of the most cowardly sort, and this is basically all they did.

No comments: