Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Thinking for oneself and skepticism

The ability to think for oneself includes the willingness to accept the authority of people better informed and who have spent their lives studying a subject. 

It includes being skeptical of claims of people who think they've discovered the secrets of the universe and who call stupid people who doubt them.

My ophthalmologist told me I had a small cataract and gave me a list of things to do to slow its growth. Do you think I will, "think for myself" and ignore him?

There is independence of thought (I am skeptical of medical studies paid for by drug companies just as much as I am skeptical of smoking studies paid for by tobacco companies and global warming studies paid for by oil or coal interests), and this is to be encouraged, but there is also humility -- that we are not able to be experts on everything and that because we thought something up is poor evidence for it. Moderation in all things, including skepticism and self-confidence.

No comments: