Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Icons versus idols

I never understood the Western fear of idolatry.  Now banning the worship of money or family or a country or a leader, those things I understand, but banning rituals that involve statues is silly.  Everyone knows it is just a statue, not a god or something.  The Catholics and the Buddhists get it about right -- they are icons, not idols -- a huge difference.  I also don't understand why depictions are prohibited but geometric figures are not.  Who is to say that God isn't a triangle?

The world has always had assassins and terrorists and will always have them.  It is a mental phenomenon I don't pretend to understand, except I think it involves a huge ego combined with an understanding that most of us don't matter in the world.  Among religions, many Muslims demonstrate a religious ego that is astounding if it weren't such a stupid set of beliefs.

No comments: