Pages

Friday, March 4, 2016

Hate can be good

Hate is a perfectly natural emotion. When you experience it you may give yourself a little lecture to the effect that hate hurts only the hater -- the standard Buddhist reaction.

I don't buy it, even though everyone around me now is Buddhist. I think there are things properly worth hating, and that the emotion has good as well as bad effects, as with all emotions.

I'm glad you don't believe in the Devil. People who really do must live unfortunate lives, but when I said "the Devil" I used it as a symbol for people like Hitler or Napoleon or Attila or Stalin or Pol Pot or any of several really brutal autocrats in power today. These are all worthy of hate, and I don't think the hate has any bad effects on me, but indeed allows me to deal with the anguish their acts generate in me.

No comments: