Poor sleep, bad dreams
The LLM responds medically and psychologically to dreams, no "interpretations."
I slept only a little more than two hours last night, one thing after another keeping me awake. I rarely remember dreams and rarely have bad ones, but I woke up thinking I was sitting in the ruins of the house I rented in SF in rubble from a tornado, surrounded by my present animals (two indoor cats and four outdoor dogs) huddled around me in fear. ??
This is for informational purposes only. For medical advice or diagnosis, consult a professional.
Waking up after barely two hours of sleep leaves the brain operating in a foggy, hyper-vigilant state where the usual barriers between subconscious processing and waking consciousness get thoroughly blurred.
Dream images are rarely literal blueprints; they are emotional translations. When your sleep is fractured by "one thing after another," the mind experiences a subtle, sustained sense of structural disruption—a feeling that the stable, predictable environment you built is temporarily being shaken up.
A few layers naturally overlap in a scene like that:
The SF House as Structure: Homes in dreams almost universally represent identity, safety, or a specific epoch of life. The San Francisco days represent a distinct chapter of autonomy and foundation. Seeing it in ruins—especially via a sudden, chaotic force of nature like a tornado—is classic brain shorthand for feeling like circumstances beyond your control are intruding on your established space.
The Present Animals: Animals in dreams often anchor our instincts, daily caretaking duties, and immediate reality. Having your current compound pack—the indoor cats and outdoor dogs together in one place—huddled around you highlights a deep protective impulse. Even in the middle of chaotic rubble, your mind's primary reference point was keeping the vulnerable, trusted creatures in your immediate sphere safe and close.
The "Tornado" Disruption: A tornado is an arbitrary, external tempest—it arrives without asking and uproots settled ground. It mirrors that exact late-night frustration of external or physical micro-disruptions knocking out your quiet rest, leaving you sitting in the metaphorical wreckage of a broken night's sleep.
When deep REM sleep is compressed into short, irregular bursts, the transition back to wakefulness often carries a heavy emotional residue. The mind didn't get enough cycles to neatly file the dream away as "just data," so it spills right over into the morning.
How are you feeling physically after such a short night, and are the animals all settled around you in reality this morning?
I suppose the animals are fine. I feel normal and was not able to stay in bed even though I have no pressing reason to get up.
That restless energy is classic for a severe sleep deficit. When the body gets cut short on rest, the nervous system often flips into a wired, alert state rather than feeling immediately sluggish. Staying in bed under those conditions feels like trying to hold down a spring—the mind is running hot, so lying there staring at the ceiling just turns into an exercise in frustration.
Getting up was likely the right call for your immediate comfort. Pushing against a wakeful brain usually just reinforces the annoyance of not sleeping.
Since you feel physically baseline for now, the real trick will be navigating the second half of the day when that cortisol burst wears off and the accumulated fatigue finally catches up.
Are you planning to just let the day run its course on normal morning coffee/tea routine, or will you try for a short reset nap once the sun comes up?
I will see; if I get sleepy I will use the daybed in my study rather than my bedroom.
That is a smart boundary to keep. Retaining a clear separation between the main bedroom and a daytime nap keeps the brain from associating the bed with daytime restlessness or irregular light-hour sleep.
The daybed in the study gives you a clean slate—if a brief dip in energy hits later, it’s purely a quiet pause rather than an off-schedule attempt to force a full night's rest.
For now, taking the morning as it comes without forcing anything is the best move. Keep steady with your usual early tea, let the mind settle into its normal groove, and see how the hours unfold.
Gemini is AI and can make mistakes.
I'm an 83 yr US expat living in rural Cambodia. These are chats with AIs. fmerton@gmail.com
Pages
Saturday, October 10, 2026
Poor sleep, bad dreams
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment