Pages

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Do I seem too certain of what I post?  I guess it might be worthwhile to repeat what is in my profile: it is all just one person's opinions.

I like to draw a technical distinction between "opinion" (things you think are probably true) and "belief" (things you know are true).  This distinction is not often made and the two words are close to being synonyms, but it is how I would use them.

Beliefs come about various ways, mainly though indoctrination or propaganda.  (That explains why the churches are so eager to control or influence children's education -- get them while their critical facilities are not mature.  It also explains why children are generally the religion of their parents and culture). They are accepted emotionally and often we aren't even aware of them as being there.  They are furniture we sit on without noticing, but they hold up our world view.

When a belief is challenged, the typical response is incredulity -- you must be insane or joking.  No, I think Nazareth is a myth.  Unbelievable that someone would actually think that.  What about Jesus?  Well, yes, him too.  You are crazy.

Of course the evidence will never be seriously looked at and given even the remotest chance of being correct in someone who has such belief, even though they will admit huge ignorance about the subject.  This is belief -- they even make their unwillingness to question into a virtue and call it "faith."

Now I don't "know" that Jesus is mythical, even though I'm persuaded of it, in spite of previous belief, by fairly simple evidence for which there are many web pages one can go to to check it out.  I really don't care either.  He is unimportant from the respect of actual physical historicity (although of course, his church continues to function and do things that are important).

The simple fact is those who believe will die believing, and maybe they are better off that way, although I have difficulty respecting such things.

I tend to say "I think" rather than "I believe," and I know I have changed my views on  a gazillion things here and there -- we all constantly evolve (except of course those who cling to beliefs and become mentally ossified).

So when I say such and such, what I really mean is, "In my view," such and such.  It interferes with smooth writing to constantly repeat such expressions, so I have to trust the reader to understand this.

No comments: