Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

OK, off with it.  What is on my mind now?  One thing, I've pretty much had it with message boards, probably because I don't like arguments and that seems to be all that goes on (do you suppose I don't like being disagreed with?)

Then there are monitors who, probably without really being aware, tend to push their views and discourage via being a stickler for the rules those who express different views.

I can't imagine a successful board without monitors, with all the spammers and trolls around, and I can't enjoy one with monitors and a bunch of vague and arbitrarily enforced rules.  So I don't think the format works at all well.

Enough of that.  What to talk about?  I'm interested in travel, English vocabulary and history and grammar (in particular how it might be reformed to be less rule-bound but still effective), history in general, layman science, cultures, serious music, human behavior, health issues (I'm quite long in the tooth but want to hold on), politics in the States, philosophy and religion.  That's quite a lot and I'm sure I left some other things out.

So let me start with one of these: travel, and of course first off that would be Vietnam, since I want to be able to live the rest of my life here.

I would not say Vietnam is all that great for tourism in the sense of historic sights and beautiful views.  To be sure the country has some very beautiful spots -- all countries do -- and if you are into the American War there are things about it to see -- but I tend to avoid being reminded of that.  The other thing is if you are into nice secluded beaches or into diving in the ocean.  Plenty of beaches, some touristy and others not.

What I find I like most are the people.  It's a country of touchers and smilers.  It OK to "stare" at someone, although this is diminishing as more and more Westerners get to be commonplace even out in the sticks.  The way to handle it is to look back and smile and even wave.  Big smiles will be returned.  Unlike some cultures it is not considered a sign of untrustworthiness to be smiley; it's considered a sign that you are a friendly person.

In the cities educated people and people who deal with the public generally speak enough English to be of real help.  If not they will get you someone who does.  This has proved a problem for me (should that be "proved" or "proven"?) as I would like to be forced to learn Vietnamese to keep my brain young.

Things here are inexpensive but not cheap -- that is, you have to have money -- it goes further but not forever and getting employment here as a foreigner is problematic (unless of course one is a well-credentialed English teacher).  Over the years it has become much easier to get money here from the States than it use to be, but the currency is not convertible yet.

The food here is to die for.  All kinds of tropical fruits besides a huge variety of everything else: much more variety than in even the biggest supermarkets in the States, and all much fresher.  Vietnamese "cuisine" is kinda Chinese but still itself, and one can also get food of almost any country you can think of (as is of course the case now in all major cities around the world).

The thing that has appealed to me about Vietnamese food is that it is healthy.  They fry stuff enough, but one can use coconut oil, and mostly they boil and steam.  My American doctor told me I would be diabetic by now if I hadn't moved to Vietnam.  I don't know but it's an interesting thought.

One thing I've noticed here -- if you hire someone here you hire the family (if you allow it), so that if the housekeeper wants a day off, she sends her sister or daughter or whatever.  That sort of job is a family enterprise.

10:45 am, Monday, November 25, 2013

No comments: