Pages

Friday, July 8, 2016

Thinking about death

As we age we of course think about death, as well as about dementia and loss of independence and so on.   I've had a string of illnesses within the last decade or so, and in each case have recovered, it seems, almost completely, and I find no reduction in my mental ability.  I think it's like physical exercise, you have to use your brain to keep it functioning, and learning languages is my forte so now I'm learning one -- and one that turns out to be more difficult than I expected (like other Austronesian languages it is free of Indo-European case and tense and gender and number nonsense, but the vocabulary and pronunciation are a b****).
(As English has evolved it has lost a lot of this stuff too, and replaced it with scads of prepositions and verb helpers, which leads to the possibility of unbelievably subtle distinctions -- in this context I should also mention its supply of suffixes and prefixes -- not available to Asian languages -- which is where the massive vocabulary really comes from.)  Austronesian languages are direct and succinct and verbosity is almost impossible.  So is subtlety and ambiguity.  I don't know which is better.  At least Khmer lacks the tones that complicate Vietnamese pronunciation -- tones that came from Chinese influence (contamination).
Of course if you get something like Alzheimer's, then all this comes to naught, so I hope I will be lucky.  There is such a thing as good and bad luck, and as the cliché goes, we have to play the cards we are dealt.
Being an intellectual type, I am of course by nature disorganized, but fortunately I have the money to hire a secretary, and he keeps me marvelously organized.  My word what a stress reducer that is to know where things are!

No comments: