Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Evil atheists

That Stalin and Mao and Pol Pot were Communists we know, and therefore they were atheists. I'm sorry if it is so that not all atheists are moral saints.

It is true that they were also politicians, and did allow a certain amount of religious freedom (in fact a good deal more than Western propaganda likes to say) but this was all for pragmatic reasons. They were and repeatedly said they were atheists.

I am an atheist too -- in the "hard" sense that not only do I not believe in any gods, but that I am as convinced as it is possible to be that there is none. Okay? Do I lose my credentials just because I tell the truth about atheism? Were the whole world atheist, the world would be no better than it is. There would be other frauds and superstitions and so on. In fact we see more and more of this as religion fades out in countries like the States.

Moral or ethical standards (goodness versus evil) are not related in any way I can see to belief about God. Just as it is stupid for theists to claim that their belief makes them more moral, it is also stupid for atheists to say that their non-belief does.

No comments: