Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Atheist Buddhism

I go to Temple (Buddhist) and participate in the rituals and contribute to their charities.  As George Washington (a non-Christian deist) said, "attending church is something a gentleman does."  One nice thing about Temple as opposed to Church is you don't have to listen to sermons and you can do the various rituals or not as you please (some do require physical abilities beyond me at my age and weight).

Lots of atheists feel Buddhism is in the end a good thing so long as it doesn't take too many young men and turn them into navel starers (there are some who are better off in monasteries, at least for awhile).  I don't buy most of the Buddha stories but I do think we are reborn and that there is a non-materialist aspect to existence, and I think the philosophy about the root nature of our unhappiness and unease is close to the mark. 

No comments: