Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

What happened to National Geographic?

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC ON TV

A comment about the "reality" show where venomous snakes were shown (more like exploited) being handled by religious believers.

When I was a kid we subscribed to the National Geographic, and I remember learning a lot about geography and more important about the different people around the world.  It was presented in a slick first person way that a high schooler could enjoy, and emphasized, at least as far as I could tell, the truth in a non-commercial clearly written way with lots of informative pictures and maps.

I gave up on it in college.  Maybe I outgrew it.

Recently (since I don't now live in the states we can get it on satellite), I checked out its TV channel a few times.  They have gone cheap and crass aiming for a low-class audience based on people watching, hoping someone will get killed and they can see it.  I guess that is what draws the TV audience they want -- idiots that can be easily influenced by advertising.

Sad, such an old institution has gone that way. 

No comments: