Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2016

Agnostics and atheists

I suppose it isn't how most people see the word, but technically an "agnostic" is a form or category of atheist.  An "atheist" does not believe in God, and neither does an agnostic.

Of course there are other kinds of atheist, so agnostic is a useful word for those who either say we don't know or maybe say we can't know.  I would subscribe to the latter, since it seems to me that to be "God" a being would have to be infinite and so far beyond us that knowledge, even revelatory knowledge, would be beyond our possibility of understanding.

The reason I tend instead to be a more standard atheist is that I see no need for such a hypothesis, and no reason to think it might be true.  It is possible but lots of things are possible, and we don't believe things just because they are possible.

No comments: