Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Well this discussion has had the benefit of showing me that miracles cannot be accepted.  I tended to say they are unlikely and need evidence, but actually we have to ask what would constitute a miracle.  God coming down and curing my medical problems might be called a miracle, but in a deeper sense it would be no such thing -- it would be God coming down and curing my medical problems.  It would seem God is a better doctor than those I've been seeing.

This is perhaps playing word games, as the sense of "miracle" is not something without cause, but where the cause is divine or spiritual and not mundane or human or physical.  Well in that case I don't think miracles occur.  It implies the existence of God, something that is counter to logic (another subject altogether) so that I am persuaded strongly he doesn't exist but is a human notion out of wishful thinking.  Given no God, then, no miracles.  Still, that begs the issue here, which is more of a "show me" situation -- if there are miracles, they don't get believed unless there is damn good evidence there is no other explanation, and even then they don't get believed because it could be simply a trick where I don't see the trick or some event I don't understand.  

There is also a theological problem with miracles -- they imply God interfering with the working of the world as He designed it.  This is certainly problematic -- the artist (in this case a perfect, infallible artist) going back and retouching his work.  And then there is the question of why God works miracles to prevent some evil or other (we assume that is his purpose) and yet allows all sorts of horrid things to go on and on and on -- like babies dying in the gutter.  Once we say God corrects some evils with special dispensations, we make God into an unjust, arbitrary, kind-of circus magician.

No comments: