Pages

Saturday, April 25, 2015

The "God of the gaps" concept is one I have to constantly remind myself of in a slightly different context.  I fully know better and am repelled when people try to insert God into places where science doesn't have a full answer to something, but I have noticed it sometimes enters my thinking in a subtler way -- not God exactly but some form of mysticism or Taoist concept.

This is when I ponder the problem of sentience -- the fact that we experience the universe through sense sensations -- sensations entirely created by our brain that have only a loose connection with the reality "out there."  That some such interface would be needed to simplify and interpret incoming sensations is easy enough, but the way it manifests just boggles me over -- I "experience" things -- colors and sounds and smells and pains and itches and emotions -- they don't happen to me they are me.

I use to take that as evidence that a non-material, non-physical aspect to existence must be part of our existence, and hence part of the world, and it is easy to apply words like "spiritual" or "ethereal" to it.  However I think that is to go too far: all we can say if it is a mystery to us is we don't know and can't conceive any way it could be, but that could be lack of imagination, not real.  Just because I can't conceive how something could be a certain way does not prove it can't be.

No comments: