Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Testimonial Evidence is Worthless (almost)

I don't trust my senses, and it follows I don't trust the claims of others based on what they have seen or heard.  Indeed, it is even worse since I see such claims as hearsay, although politeness generally prevents me saying as much.  Still, I know how people can elaborate.

There is just simply no way around this problem that I can see.  The claim, for example, of the presence of witnesses to some outlandish event does not increase credibility but actively reduces it.

Is it possible, then, to say we know something -- anything at all -- since all our knowledge of the outside world comes to us through our senses (highly manipulated and censored, I might add, by our subconscious minds working to keep our conscious minds from having too much to handle).

All I can say is that I don't think there is anything I can say I "know," and I think people who claim otherwise are delusional.  All we can say is that we think with varying degrees of certainty, based mainly on how we perceive probabilities, that some things are probably true and others probably not.

The only exception I would make to that is where what we conclude is based on logic rather than on experience, and even then we are dependent on the principles of logic being true.  For example, I strongly doubt the existence of the Christian God, based on what my senses tell me about suffering in the world and the behavior of the members of that religion, and am persuaded logically this is the case based on the self-referential contradictions claims about this god lead to.

No comments: